9.15.2008

"It's like killing a unicorn..with, like, a bomb."

Stoner comedies have always been a personal favorite of mine. Actually, come to think of it, almost all drug-related movies have a spot in my heart. Don't ask me why.


Which is why I decided to blog about Pineapple Express today.






I just want to say, I fucking loved this movie. It had everything: comedy, action, drugs, some form of romance (if you call Rogen and Franco's relationship in this movie a romance...;), blood and gore, violence, foul language...everything. It was just a great movie and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Which is funny, considering I normally can't stand Seth Rogen. And the last person I expected to be in this movie was James Franco. But no one else could have played the role like he did. It was awesome. There was just so much, I don't even know where to begin.


Probably should start at the beginning of the film, yes?


Prepare yourself for the very beginning of the movie. It's awesome.


Now, onto the actual movie.


Dale is an unassuming Civil Servant who disguises himself in order to serve papers. Now, this guy is smoking from the time this movie starts to nearly the end of it. And let me tell you, Rogen makes an amazing pothead. He smokes in his car, he smokes before he serves people, he smokes before he goes into the high school to see his girlfriend, and he smokes with his dealer, Saul.

The movie technically kicks in when he goes over to Saul's house and procures, um, I think it's an 1/8 of rare weed known as Pineapple Express. Dale and Saul partake in the ultimate joint: the cross joint. I'm not even going to describe it, you need to see it yourself.


Anyway, Dale starts on his way home after the most adorable scene where Saul makes an attempt to get Dale to stay with him for a while. I've seriously never aw-ed as hard as I did at that scene. So, yeah, more on that later. But, Dale starts on his way home, smoking a joint as he goes and never getting pulled over for it, and stops in front of the house of the guy he's serving.

He witnesses a murder, a rather gory one at that, and flips out, dropping the joint out the window and running back to Saul's house. Once there, Saul realizes the connection between the weed in the joint and the two take off, starting what's possibly the craziest buddies-on-the-run plot of all time.


There's several unbelievable fight scenes. Great stunt choreography, if I must say so. Franco and Rogen are hilarious together.


I loved this movie so much I saw it twice in theaters!


Now, first and foremost, before I continue, I have to say, I'm a fan of queer cinema.


Random statement, I know. Just bear with me.


This movie is just one step below queer cinema, and I think it's intentional. Franco and Rogen have some serious chemistry, and while hilarious, it's one of the cutest things I've ever seen.
Franco is just endearing, and Rogen is just...awkward and awesome with him onscreen. Their dialogue is funny as hell, with lines such as "You know what they say about not dipping in the company ink? Well, I'm glad I dipped in your ink, man." Or something to that affect.


One of my personal favorites was one of Saul's lines: "It's almost a shame to smoke it. It's like killing a unicorn...with, like, a bomb."


"The car just committed suicide." This one was dedicated to talk radio and how the car battery died. This was just a great line and was delivered with impeccable timing.


"FRISK MEH!" This one was one of my favorite lines in the whole movie. Franco goes into his friend Red's house, and like, does this insane like, monkey position, arms up in the air and everything and like, says the line in the most awesome delivery ever. I cried laughing so hard.


And the ending is so explosive, and there's just so much pseudo-gay, and it made me smile throughout the whole movie. It was just too cute not to be like, "omg." And it's not so offensive that guys will be like, "Ew."


Oh god, and the belt scene.

Not to mention, James Franco on several of the posters is just hysterical. His face is priceless.


Just see this movie. Trust me. You won't be disappointed.


And I love the fact that "om" is one of the spell check options for the above omg.



OM NOM NOM!

No comments: