9.14.2008

Ladies and gentlemen, we have liftoff.

So. Yeah.

Let's start this bitch off, shall we?

I'm going to start this off with the blog's namesake:

Eraserhead (1977)

This little gem was created by David Lynch back in the late 70's and has been one of the staples of cult film addicts everywhere. It's quirky little piece, with a hell of a history behind it. Considering it took nearly a decade to make, it's not surprising that most who see it, never forget it.

I watched this movie by myself, in an empty dorm room, with nothing but a DVD player, a blanket to cover my head with, and a friend from one of my summer college courses. I was starting my freshman year as a Film Major in Philly and decided this would be quite possibly the best introduction.

Boy was I wrong.

This movie blew me away and scared the shit out of me at the same time. I had seen Lynch movies before, having gotten into his work late senior year of high school. My friend Anthony lent me his short films DVD and I was hooked. I had tried watching Blue Velvet later on, but never quite got into it. I've seen it in bits and pieces, but from what I saw, I should really sit down and watch the whole damn thing.

Eraserhead is about a man named Henry, who finds out he's fathered the mother of all babies: this squirming little freaky thing that to this day, Lynch still won't say how it was made or puppeteered. This thing whines, cries, wiggles, screams, and just looks like all get out.

At this point, I had the blanket covering my head and was squirming around on the floor pillow I was using.

And Maddie had taken her leave, stating, "This is just too much, man."

It's shot in black and white, and really a noteworthy film. One of Lynch's first, and definitely not to be missed. It's creepy, original, and for those affected by sound in movies, such as myself, it's the be all end all of soundtracks.

The title of this blog comes from a famous scene in the movies in which Henry is at his girlfriend's house. Mary X, as she's known, hasn't really spoken to him, and suddenly invites him over to dinner. He arrives, and is surrounded by her creepy family. The line comes from the actually dinner scene itself.

Henry watches as very small chickens are put on the table and is asked to carve them. Turns out, these chickens are man-made, and weird as hell. They still move, people. They still move.

Anyway, he looks up at Mr. X, and asks:

"So I just, uh... I just cut them up like regular chickens?"
"Sure, just cut them up like regular chickens."

In which they carve the chickens, and the chickens start to move, and make noise, and the mom freaks out.

Pretty entertaining, yet creepy scene, if I do say so myself.

This movie also has a wonderful cast, if you could even really call it that. Jack Nance, mostly of Lynchian fame, is amazing in this. He's as awkward as they come, and the hair is...wow. All I can say about the hair is, if the electric socket look is what he was going for, then he certainly achieved it.

The one thing that freaked me out the most about this movie was not only the sound and the baby, but the Lady in the Radiator.

Yes, I believe that's how she's listed on the Internet Movie Database.

She's got some massive special effects make up on, and for such a low budget movie, it's pretty effective. She sings, most of the time, and also steps on what I assume to be sperm.

But as harmless as she appears, she's still the freakiest character in the whole movie besides the baby.

Now, if you ever actually get around to seeing this, check out the setup on the DVD. There's a typical Lynch thing on it. Now, it's been so long since I watched this, the last time being a Sophomore in college. But if I'm correct, and I hope my memory doesn't fail me here, there's a TV adjustment section on the DVD itself. Here's the kicker.

It's only there to fuck with you! It makes the screen blurry and it's actually very funny to watch someone try to fiddle with it.

The documentary on it is so so. Mostly Lynch in front of a microphone reliving the whole experience.

This blog is also named as such because of a wonderful musician named Cornelius, who has a song called "Like Regular Chickens" and it uses this line as a sample. Very funny stuff, considering it's like, jazzy stuff.

So, there it is. The first review. I know it's not much, but hopefully it's a start. I also apologize for the crapness of the writing. I'm working on four hours of sleep for two days. :)

There will be more to come!

Enjoy the ride.

No comments: